Wednesday, October 19, 2011

iOS 5 on iPhone 4

Wow! Has it really been two months since my last blog post? I guess I should get crack-a-lackin'...

I've been running iOS 5 since day 2. I would have downloaded it on release day, but with Clear throttling my Internet connection, it took hours to download the 700+MB update. There are some cool new features that have been heavily publicized (my favorites being the changes to the Camera app and they way push notifications are displayed in the new Notification Center). Here are some other things I've observed:

1) Safari is notably slower. Actually, all apps seem to take longer to load, but the difference in speed, is most pronounced when surfing the web. Perhaps this is where having an A5 chip would make a difference.

2) I stumbled across an interesting little quirk in the Music app. Files with unknown artist and album names won't play. The weird thing is that the app continues to run (thereby draining your battery) and you'll see the little triangle in the upper right, but there's no sound.

3) Autocorrect has changed. I can't decide if it's better or not, but the suggestions for Hawaiian names and terms are different than they were before.

I have yet to try iOS5 on my iPad, but since I have the original, I would imagine the performance would be about the same as it is on my iPhone 4. What has your experience been like?

No comments:

Post a Comment