Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tsukuneya Robata Grill | Honolulu, Hawaii

Every Friday, my wife and I get "date night." My parents watch our son and we get to try new places. This Friday brought us to Tsukuneya Robata Gril, on the corner of Dole and University. This particular experience taught me two things: (1) I need a better camera as the wimpy 2MP one without zoom or focus on my iPhone just isn't cutting it - major 3GS envy right about now - and (2) lots of little dishes fill you up just as well as one monster dish.

1442 University Ave
Honolulu, HI 96822-2415
(808) 943-0390
Website

This dish isn't much to look at, but it sure was tasty. It's crispy nori wrapped around some mashed yam.
Apparently, this place makes their own tofu on a daily basis. This is called the "Tofu Dengaku", which is grilled with a sweet miso sauce.
We asked for the Avocado and Shrimp roll without the shrimp (wifey is a vegetarian).
Their take on fried cheese was interesting, but a little rich for me.
Last, but not least, is their version of Oyako Donburi, stewed chicken and egg on rice. Did I mention wifey was vegetarian? Yeah, I ate the whole bowl by myself.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you had a great dinner! i like the nori with mashed yam and tofu dish.

    ReplyDelete