Monday, October 11, 2010

Parents Beware: In-Game Advertising Fail

I loaded this app on my iPhone, thinking it would help our son understand the concepts behind addition and subtraction. I understand that in-app advertising is necessary for some developers to make a living (particularly with free apps), but imagine my surprise when I started it up and saw "Flirtomatic" and "50 Million Singles. One Tap Away." at the top of the screen! Normally, if a free app doesn't meet my expectations, I just delete it. No harm, no foul. In this case, however, I was compelled to write a negative review and blog about it. Who in their right mind would put ads like this in a program specifically designed for preschoolers?! Cynicism aside, this has served as a wake up call for me and if you're a parent too, I hope it does the same for you. We need to be mindful of what we put in our kids' hands, especially if it's "free." In the end, we may end up with much more than we bargained for.


These are actual screen shots. The errant application is called "Kids Math Ace Games Lite Free."




No comments:

Post a Comment